Friday, December 18, 2009

DOC Trips, part 1

When I first got admission into Dartmouth I was highly interested in finding out more about the Dartmouth Outdoor Club trips for the freshmen. I had heard many good things about them, but I did not expect to find what I did

I arrived on campus around September 11th, ready and geared to go hiking (Moderate Hiking). I expected to hike in a small group of people, along a relatively easily path. But no. The minute I stepped in front of Robinson Hall, I threw all my expectations behind me. I could have more incorrectly predicted what I was in for.

In front of Robo was a pack of brightly clad, dye-haired students, jumping up and down, and dancing (rather terribly) to tunes. Glancing around, I found it hard to resist giggles as I observed all the other '13s with looks of shock on their faces. It would only be a matter of days before even we accepted the trip leaders and Croo members as normal.

The '13s were moved into the Collis Commonground area, where we were taught dances to Miley Cyrus's "Party in the USA" and the dance to Dartmouth's famous, "Saltydog Rag". This is where we lost our inhibitions and the class of '13s in section J first got to know each other.

The Saltydog itself, was perhaps the best part of the dancing initiation. With it's fast speed and mildly complicated steps, every giggled as they tried to figure out which way to turn and spin.

Over a lunch of hamburgers and cookies, my section, J34, got to introduce ourselves to each other. We were a motley crew, and that made for a bunch of laughs over the next couple of days.