Wednesday, December 30, 2009

It's All About the People

What striked me most as a student visiting Dartmouth last April were the people.


Wide-eyed and anxious about what the campus would be like, I was pleasantly surprised by the welcoming nature of the Dartmouth community.


Everywhere I turned I was greeted by a warm smile and an abundance of patience. (And trust me, I required a lot of guidance that day.)


I must have look like a prospie-- everyone on campus smiled as I walked by and I even received the ocassional "come to Dartmouth!" greeting. I remember being shocked. I remembered thinking-- this could be home.


As a student at Dartmouth now, I have come to realize that not everyone on campus is as bright and cheerful as they had once appeared, but that's only to be expected. During midterms and finals, for example, people become more serious. But know that the Dartmouth community is always available. Know that around the corner, across the street, across the Green, anywhere, there are people who are willing to help you. No matter how far away from home you are (take it from a girl who is 2000 miles away from her hometown), you are not alone. It's all about the people, and there's some comfort in that.