Monday, January 18, 2010

My Birthday


This past January 9th was my first birthday away from home. Silly as it might seem, I felt emotional throughout the course of the week-- but didn't let anyone know.

It was a Friday night, and my floor was getting ready for a fun night out. The girls on my floor (who have all grown very fond of each other) were playing around with make-up and we were having a blast.

Every time I tried to leave the room, I was urged not to go. In fact, I was forced to stay in my room.

At first I didn't understand, but then my roommate, who wasn't in the room previously knocked on the door and in a panicked voice told me that she was locked out our room. I panicked, knowing that I had left my key inside the room as well. As I ran to my room, she ran up behind me and steered me into the study room at the end of the hallway.

Imagine my surprise, when I found a group of friend standing around a large chocolate cake. Music was playing; I never expected such a great surprise.

It turns out that a lot of my surprise celebration had been orchestrated by my parents, along with the help of one of my newest, and closest friends her at Dartmouth, Krupa. My parents emailed her, asked her to organize everything, and she did so. And my floor amazed me.

My floormates and Krupa, took me out that night-- and I had the time of my life.

Any time I feel the least bit homesick, I go to my Dartmouth family for comfort!