Monday, March 15, 2010

Reassurance While Traveling

I always find that the trip home from Dartmouth is full of surprises.

On my journey back home (which officially began yesterday), I have already encountered my fair share of surprises.

This morning, after boarding my flight, I was informed that there was a mechanical failure, and all the passengers had to de-board. We were told that at 12 we would find out the status of the flight-- whether we would be able to fly or not due to the inclement weather.

Luckily for me, I had company. Amidst the crowd of strangers on the flight was a solitary Dartmouth student, dressed in forest green. Welcome to the Dartmouth community.

As my journey continues, I know that I won't be alone. Krista (the other '13) and I are keeping tabs on each other, making sure that the other one is on the appropriate flight, etc.

When traveling, there is no doubt that there is some comfort in numbers. I remember returning to campus after winter break. There were a bunch of Dartmouth students sitting at the Dallas airport, as well as a bunch of Harvard students. One Dartmouth student, as he passed by me in the plane, whispered, " I almost feel like we should be snapping, like the Sharks and the Jets!"

Makes me laugh every time.